Clinical Pharmacist Service
Our PCN has a team of skilled clinical pharmacists to support the healthcare team and our patients. Our senior pharmacists have been working in GP settings for many years and are able to manage many chronic diseases and medication-related matters.
More recently, we have recruited a team of four pharmacists who work across Healthwest PCN. They have a wide range of experience from hospital and community settings and are skilled in medicine management. They are currently developing and extending their roles into many clinical areas.
Our pharmacists can help you in the following ways:
- Discuss with people the medications they are taking for one or more long-term conditions such as asthma or diabetes to make sure they are working for them. They may also provide lifestyle advice to help manage these conditions.
- Discuss side effects associated with medications that a person may be taking, working with the individual to find a solution such as changing the medication or dosage.
- Undertake structured medication reviews for people who are taking multiple medications concurrently in practices, care homes and residential settings. The aim of these medication reviews is to review all a person’s medications, discuss how they are working and carry out health checks and make changes to medications or dosages where appropriate.
- If medications have been changed following a stay in hospital, the pharmacy team can help implement and explain these changes, ensuring the person gets the maximum benefit from them.
- Ensure medication safety for people on high risk medications.
- Develop medication protocols and guidelines for the PCN practices, improving prescribing value and quality.
- Provide educational training and mentorship to peers and wider healthcare teams.